I wrote this retreat on simplicity in 2001. These ten sessions are the beginning of a new series here on living a simple life. I hope these sessions open you to the foundations of living a life of simplicity, learning what is essential from the inside out, a process of faith and prayer. The essence of simplicity rests in our deep faith experience of the Paschal Mystery. All things die. New life emerges. This pattern is the element of God’s creating plan. Jesus’ dying and rising reveals the brevity of life. We cannot ultimately possess or control life. Life is a great gift given from our loving Creator. I hope you enjoy this fourth session. You may download the entire series here:
Simplicity: Loving, Living, Serving by Ronald Patrick Raab, C.S.C. (Fatima Retreat Center, 2001)
Session Four: Let Your Situation Form You
- A loving and passionate God is offering us daily bread, a grace which nourishes us in the place where we live life. Our work, relationships, friendships, the place and city in which we live, all speak to us of how we are to love, live and serve in the world.
- Often in our relationships or other events when things do not go according to our plan we want to flee or change them immediately. God may be offering a grace that takes a new way of seeing.
- Revelation of love and hope comes from the simple places and events in our daily routine. Life as it is may be forming us into loving, compassionate people.
- I am sure of this much; that he who has begun the good work in you will carry it through to completion. Philippians: 1
- My love shall never leave you nor my covenant of peace be broken. Isaiah: 54
- There is cause for rejoicing here. 1Peter: 1
- Come to me, all you who are weary and find life burdensome, and I will refresh you. Matthew:11
- You have nothing whatever to fear from him! Get up! He is calling you. Mark:10
In you alone, O God, I take my shelter and find my peace. Spirit of the Loving God, receive me in this day and place. All of my past has led me here, my mistakes, failures, dreads, hardships, loves and desires. Release the illusions that blind me from seeing your plan and acknowledging your presence. Create in me a simple heart so I may provide a dwelling for your presence. In the name of the Risen One, forever. Amen
- God has a plan for me and I need to be awakened to see___________.
- I need to let go of control in the area of __________________________.
- God is trying to teach me ____________________________________.
- God is calling me through me relationships to be __________________.
- The best way I can serve the Lord and the church is ________________.