I wrote this retreat on simplicity in 2001. These ten sessions are the beginning of a new series here on living a simple life. I hope these sessions open you to the foundations of living a life of simplicity, learning what is essential from the inside out, a process of faith and prayer. The essence of simplicity rests in our deep faith experience of the Paschal Mystery. All things die. New life emerges. This pattern is the element of God’s creating plan. Jesus’ dying and rising reveals the brevity of life. We cannot ultimately possess or control life. Life is a great gift given from our loving Creator. I hope you enjoy this seventh session. You may download the entire series here:
Simplicity: Loving, Living, Serving by Ronald Patrick Raab, C.S.C. (Fatima Retreat Center, 2001)
Session Seven: Set your heart on the Kingdom of God
- As baptized people, we set our sights on the Kingdom of God. We are brothers and sisters of the Risen Christ. All life is open to us who set our hearts toward Kingdom life.
- Our orientation is toward God. God first created us and loved us into being. We are not forgotten. The Spirit is given us, we have everything we need. God’s orientation is toward us.
- When our eyes are fixed on ourselves, we become locked into our own pain and suffering. Despair and fear then pervade our lives and we can become a people with no hope. With Kingdom vision, we walk toward God’s love, in God’s love, knowing God’s love. We can become a people with hope to bring to others.
- It is now the hour for you to wake from sleep, for salvation is closer than when we first accepted the faith. Romans: 13
- He guides the humble to justice, he teaches the humble his way. Psalm 25
- Lord, let your mercy be on us as we place our trust in you. Psalm 33
- Yes, God so loved the world that he gave us his only son. John: 3
- Be intent on things above rather than things of earth. Colossians: 3
- The Lord God shall you feat, and him shall you serve. Deuteronomy: 10
- Live on in my love. John:15
Jesus, so often I am my only God. Providing love, revealing he way, sustaining relationships, I think I can do it all!
I have directed my heart in so many different directions, now with the simplicity of your grace I have found the direction of my soul. And I bring to you all that I am. Lead me home.
- I am recognizing my own bitterness and fear lately in ______________________.
- I have trouble trusting________________________________.
- I long for real intimacy and I know God _____________________________.
- My life has become so complicated because I am always trying to fix__________.
- I am learning to offer hope to others through__________________________.